Pages

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Hippie Quilt


My great-grandmother Launa Henley made this quilt for my mom in the early '70s. It has no batting. It is held together by yarn tied at the corner of the squares. Great-Grandmother Launa Henley called it the hippie quit. I have always called it the picnic quilt. My mom has always brought it along for picnics or to lay on during fireworks on the fourth of July. When I got my first car at the age 18 I put this blanket in the trunk. I have had many picnics on it since. I like to take it to the park with a book and read.
I just love the fabrics in this quilt. Especially the one above.
Look at those delicate hand stitches that line the border! I love the history of it. I love the idea that my great-grandmother made this just for my mom when she was a young teenager. She had no idea how much a twenty something would love it 35 years later.

I told my mom today that the quilt was now mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment