Pages

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas Project #2: Homemade Crayons

Today is Monday October 12, 2009.

Today I made homemade crayons for part of my nephew's Christmas gifts. I first went to my favorite place... leftovers etc. and got a bunch of used crayons. While I was there I spotted some Christmas Candy molds. I was already borrowing candy molds from my sister, but when I spotted the Christmas ones at leftovers etc. it was pure coincidental magic.

STEP 1:
I started off by peeling all of those darn crayons. I only used crayola, because I think they're the best.


STEP 2:
I then went through the recycling bin and found a few soda cans. I cut the cans in half with a pair of scissors.


STEP 3:
I broke up the peeled crayons and placed them into the cans by color.
All the colors will be melted together to make one color, so choose your crayons wisely.


STEP 4:
I put them in the oven at 350 degrees. It took mine about 10 minutes to melt completely. I used 4-5 crayons in each can. You can use 2-3 crayons and it should only take about 5 minutes in the oven.


STEP 5:
When I pulled them out of the oven I gave the cans a gentle shake to mix the colors properly. Then I poured the mixture into the candy molds. Some of them I poured a little too much and I have those long drip sections. That's okay because when it cools and you take them out of the mold those parts break off easily.
**When pouring I made a few layered crayons. I poured a little bit of one color, let cool, then poured more of another color to make layered crayons.


STEP 6:
When the crayons have cooled completely. Turn the candy molds over and the crayons pop out!


Now I have fun festive crayons for my nephew's Christmas!

Here is a website I used to help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment