Pages

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Monday Book Club


I got the pleasure of going on two long road trips this summer.  I was so happy to take a break from life and celebrate with good friends!  I also got the opportunity to listen to 4 audio books!  WOWZA, that was a lot of time in the car!  Props to my husband who drove 12 hours straight on one of those legs.


First of all, I am a fan of Mindy Kaling's work.  I thought The Office was hilarious and now I enjoy the Mindy Project.  What I loved  most about Mindy's book was that there was no agenda.  I just got the feeling that Mindy enjoys writing, so naturally a book would be in her future.  I love that she didn't seem to create drama in her own history.  She recalls a really great upbringing and how that has influenced her life.  I enjoyed this book immensely.


I listen to a lot of "This American Life" so David Sedaris has worked his way into my vocabulary.  I thought that I might like this book.  To be honest, it's just not my thing.  I laughed at certain parts, absolutely.  When I think about his segments on "This American Life"  they're never my favorite parts of the show.  He wasn't relatable enough for me.


I listen to the "Freakonomics" podcast and have even read "Gang Leader for a Day"  so naturally it was time that I read/listened to freakonomics.  It didn't have that production quality that I've come to love about the podcast, but it was all VERY fascinating.  I recommend this to any curious reader.


We've all heard of the 10,000 rule by now.  It was time for me to check out the book.  It is definitely in the same vain of "Freakonomics."  The conclusion that I came to is that it's not just about the 10,000 hours.  It's more about being in the right place and the right time.  It just made this world seem more God ordained to me.  It's still fairly interesting.














Now I'm listening to "Super Freakonomics"  that's taking much longer to get through now that I'm no longer crossing the country!  So far it's already better than "Freakonomics" so that's promising.

No comments:

Post a Comment